Understanding Childcare Subsidies

Child Care Subsidy (CCS) is an Australian Government child care fee assistance package which was introduced in 2018. CCS provides financial support to families using Early Childhood Education and Care (ECEC) services including Long Day Care, Before School Care, After School Care and Vacation Care.

CCS payments are made directly to the ECEC service and the family must pay any difference between the actual fee charged and the subsidy that is paid on their behalf.

To be eligible for Childcare Subsidy the following requirements must be met:

The child must:

  • be a ‘Family Tax Benefit child’ or ‘regular care child’ and
  • be 13 or under and not attending secondary school and
  • meet immunisation requirements

the person claiming the Child Care Subsidy, or their partner, must:

  • meet residency requirements and
  • be liable to pay for care provided under a Complying Written Arrangement (their written agreement) with their child care provider

the child care must be provided by an approved provider in Australia and not be part of a compulsory education program, for example school. Note that there are exemptions for individuals who genuinely cannot meet some eligibility requirements.

The level of a subisdy a family receives depends on 3 factors:

  • Income – a family’s (both partners) combined income. More information available at Services Australia.

  • Activity test – what activities the individual and their partner undertake or exemptions that might apply. More information available at Services Australia.
  • The fees of your child care service and the number of hours that you use the service.

You may find this CCS calculator helpful in estimating your CCS entitlements.

Alternatively, come in or call one of our centres to speak to our centre management team who will help you estimate your CCS entitlements.

How to apply for CCS:

You must have a MyGov account. If you don’t already have a MyGov account, click on this link and follow the steps to create an account. Next:

  1. Login to your MyGov account and navigate to Centrelink.
  2. Next select Payments and Claim -> Claims -> Make a claim
  3. Navigate to Families and then click on Get Started.
  4. Fill out all the required information and upload all the necessary documentation (e.g. payslips, birth certificate, medical records) and then click Submit.

If you need any help with completing your application, come in or call one of our centres to speak to our centre management team.

Other important information:

If you get Child Care Subsidy, you have an ongoing responsibility to keep your information up to date.

  • You need to advise Services Australia if:
  • your family’s income changes
  • your or your partner’s activity levels change
  • your relationship status changes

there are any other changes to your or your partner’s circumstances.

Services Australia requires accurate information about your family circumstances to pay you the correct amount. Services Australia may overpay you if we don’t have accurate and up to date details. If this happens, you’ll have to pay back the amount you owe.

If you have any other questions or require further information regarding CCS, come in or call to speak to one of our centre management teams.